Monday 15 April 2013

Loving and Hating

Sorry I haven't blogged in a while- been a busy bee! I've been filming and editing a short clip for uni which has taken a great deal longer than planned but I've got a few great blogs lined up for you to glance over this week. You may have noticed the layout change- I'm still in the process of learning things but I hope you like it so far :)

I've been shopping a couple of times this week and seen a number of things I am loving but also a fair few that I am hating. I thought I would share my findings with you.


I'll start with the positives.

1) MUA
(Make-Up Academy)
I didn't even know this brand existed until my friend introduced me to it yesterday. It's available in Superdrug and today I picked up 3 products to try:


MUA Bronzer in Shade 3, Superdrug, £1


MUA Pro- Base Conceal & Brighten Kit in Procelain- Beige, Superdrug, £3.50


MUA Trio Eyeshadow in Innocence, Superdrug, £2.50
As you can see, in terms of design, it's pretty similar to MAC. It look expensive but is really cheap as chips. I've only had a chance to vaguely try out each product but I will be reviewing them separately soon! Not bad for £7. There are so many other products that I have my eye on, it was hard to just leave with 3. If you want to see more of their range but can't be bothered to trek into town, here is their website for you to mooch around: http://www.muastore.co.uk/
Let me know how you get on!

2) Primark Make-Up Brushes
Yes, you read it right. I am recommending Primark make-up brushes. I never thought I'd see the day either. I had always turned my nose up at their attempt to branch into the beauty industry, I always thought they were a quick go to if you've had a bad day and fancied a new top without the guilt of spending copious amounts of money. However, I lost my blusher brush a while back and was in a rush so thought I'd give Primark a chance. And I was impressed.


Make- Up Brushes, Primark, £1.50 Each
 They are really soft which is not what I expected. Although I do think the Bronzing brush is a little big for me but for £1.50 you can't really complain. The foundation brush is double ended, with a concealer brush on the other end. Cheap, effective and pink. What more does a girl want.


3) Plain Maxi Dresses
Sounds oh so simple I know but I think some of the plain dresses round at the moment are really flattering. I bought one today for £8 from Primark in a coral colour (I expressed my love for this colour in my last post) with a little pocket. I think it would look lovely with a faded denim jacket or waistcoat, or maybe even a patterned blazer if you're feeling daring. I much prefer this to the indecisive midi dress. However, a friend of mine who is a couple of inches taller than me (I'm 5'5) also tried one on and it was more an ankle grazer than a maxi dress so taller girls might have to look somewhere else (it is Primark afterall....)


And with most loves, there comes a few hates as well...

1) 'Nerd' T-shirts
Or any other such slogan t-shirts. This 'trend' I believe was first taken on by Topshop and quite frankly it's just frustrating. They are everywhere! There is a section in most shops devoted to them and I even saw some embellished versions which are no better. They have definately run their course in my opinion. I understand that they are some weird ass hipster/indie kid thing and they are doing it out of irony, much like the snap-back trend which is just as bad. Although each to their own I suppose....

2) Dip Hem Dresses
I own 2 myself. But even so. Some are lovely don't get me wrong but again it just seems this has run it's course in my mind. Everyone has one, they aren't unique anymore and they are even more indecisive than the midi dress. Long or short- make up your mind!


3) 'Fashionable' Onesies
As one of the first people in my friendship group to embrace the onesie, I am still an avid believer in them. However, this new brand of 'cool' onesies are quite the opposite in my mind. Onesies are meant to be funny, silly, novelty all-in-ones that you can wear around the house when you are feeling fat, lazy or cold. Casually walking down the street in one is not what as intended. Bring back the novelty ones!


And that's what I'm loving and hating this week- let me know what you think of any of this! What are you loving and hating this week?

On a more serious note, as I wrote this blog the news broke that 3 bombs have gone off in Boston. My thoughts are with everyone involved and R.I.P to those who lost their lives at what is normally such an uplifting event.

No comments:

Post a Comment